WE LOVE VEGETABLES! Although, I am pretty sure you knew that already.
This weeks inspiration was from our B.C. neighbors and their peaches (combined with our beets, arugula and onions).
This recipe had our family sighing happily at the kitchen table and we hope it does for you too. So easy to make while also making you seem like an artisan professional cook. Magical!
– 2 Medium sized beets ( peeled and cubed )
– 2 Peaches ( peeled and cubed )
– 1 Tbsp Canola or walnut oil to roast beets
– 1 Medium white onion
– 1 Bundle lettuce ( washed and torn )
– 1 Bundle Arugula ( washed and torn )
– 1 Cup crumbled feta
– 3/4 Cup chopped cashews
– 1/2 Cup walnut oil for dressing
– 1/2 Cup balsamic vinegar
– salt and pepper (to taste for dressing)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees ( 190 degrees C ). Place the cubed beets into a casserole dish with the tablespoon of oil and toss. Cover and roast until beets are tender when poked with a fork. Remove and refrigerate until chilled. If you want this process to take less time them begin with more thinly sliced beets, which will cook and cool faster.
2. Place the lettuce and arugula into a large mixing bowl. Add sliced beets and peaches, onions, cashews and feta.
3. In a smaller bowl, mix the walnut oil, balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper. Whisk before pouring over salad. Toss well and serve.
- Our family likes extra cheese and dressing on our salad. Adjust to taste for yourself.
- We also used a balsamic reduction in our dressing recipe. You can do the same using the reduction recipe here or add some honey or sugar to the salad dressing to suit your preferences.
- We used both Touchstone Beets (golden in colour) as well 2 red varieties (Detroit Red and Bull’s Blood). This is absolutely not require. Just use what you have! However, baking the different coloured beets all mixed up will lead to the colour bleeding as you can see in the picture below. If the aesthetic of your salad is very important the roast the beets in 2 separate containers so there is no crossover.