This is a versatile, tasty recipe using buckwheat shoots. As with many of our recipes, these guidelines are only one of the ways we like to eat our flatbread. Change it up to suit your preferences and send us a picture or a recipe of your favorite combinations of toppings!
- your choice of lean, boneless red meat cut into thin pieces- think steak sliced, roast sliced, whatever you have in the freezer
- your favorite BBQ sauce or see the marinade below
- toppings of your choice (see below for our recommendations)
- buckwheat shoots chopped fine (about 1/2 C per flat bread)
- cherry tomatoes cut in half (about 4 per flatbread)
- red onion cut into quarter rings (about 2 t per flatbread)
- feta cheese (about 2 T per flatbread)
- Balsamic Reduction drizzle (see Buckwheat Bacon Pizza post for detailed instructions)
Optional Steak Marinade:
(makes enough for about 2 lbs of meat)
- 2 T Honey
- 2 t seasoning salt
- 2 t Montreal Steak Spice
- 1/2 C light oil such as oil or vegetable
- 1/2 C Soya Sauce
- 1/2 C Balsamic vinegar ( or 1/4 C white vinegar)
- 2 t garlic powder
- 2 t onion powder
- 2 t ginger powder
- 1 1/2 t Chili Powder
- Marinade meat strips by mixing all marinade ingredients and sliced meat. Be sure mixture covers meat and let stand for an hour up to overnight. Fry in a pan until cooked through. This should only take a minute or two if the meat is sliced thin enough. Alternatively, just slice the meat thinly and add a little of your favorite BBQ sauce.
- To make Balsamic Reduction, reduce about 1 C of vinegar and 1 heaping T honey until it is half the volume.
- Chop all toppings. Top flatbread with meat, buckwheat, tomatoes, feta, and onion. Broil until flatbread is gold brown and crispy at the edges.
- Drizzle with reduction and enjoy!
- Its easier to slice meat thinly and uniformly if its still half frozen.
- Chop the buckwheat small so it doesn’t cling to itself so much.
- Get creative- always mix up the toppings to suite your own tastes or together a few different ingredients and let people build their own flatbread!