Hot summer weather just screams tacos. Plus the make your own concept keeps everyone happy! If you are vegan substitute vegan cheese for the cheddar and if you are gluten free use corn tortillas. There are so many great options with tacos!
Shoot us some pictures of your tacos on social media on send us your favorite recipes-we love to see what you’ve got cookin.
- 1.5 T vegetable oil
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- approximately 3 C mushrooms
- 1.5 t smoked paprika
- 2 t Chili powder*
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t garlic salt
- 1/2 pepper
- Toppings to suite our taste
- 10(ish) soft taco shells
- hot sauce
- sunflower shoots
- bell pepper
- cheddar cheese or vegan cheese substitute
- Fry medium chopped onion and minced garlic in oil until onions become translucent.
- Add diced mushrooms and all spices. (Cut them small because big/long pieces will pull your tacos apart.) Don’t put a lid on your pan- the mushrooms will sweat out their water and you want that to evaporate so you don’t end up with soggy tacos. Fry until mushrooms have cooked through and water has evaporated, stirring frequently.
- Fill your tacos! Put the cheese close to the warm mushrooms to make them melty. Add whatever toppings float your boat. How do they always get so full??
* I find different brands on chili powder have vastly different levels of heat. Also each person’s taste vary and the longer spices sit in your cupboard the more flavour they loose. I like spicy things but if you don’t, start with only 1 tsp of chili and adjust upwards to suit you and your family!
*We like crunchy sprouts in an otherwise soft taco but pea shoots and bean sprouts would be really yummy too. Get adventurous!